Hey! You don't care what I like because I have no taste! I've limited the numbered list to 20 this year, but some other good ones were: Vampire Weekend - Cousins, Ratatat - LP4 , Bear Hands - Burning Bush Supper Club , LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Anyway. If you click on the links I think I might get some money no matter what you buy, so get to Amazon through me, thanks!
20. Woodhands - Remorsecapade
19. Holy Fuck - Latin
18. Wavves - King of the Beach
17. Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be
16. Girl Talk - All Day.
15. Robyn - Body Talk . Favorites: Fembot, Time Machine, Cry When You Get Older, Love Kills
14. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz. Favorites: Age of Adz, Too Much, Vesuvius, I Want To Be Well, Impossible Soul
13. Jenny and Johnny - I'm Having Fun Now. Jenny Lewis, Jonathan Rice. Favorites: My Pet Snakes, Big Wave, Animal, Committed
12. Wolf Parade - Expo 86. Favorites: What Did My Lover Say? (It always had to go this way.) , Yulia, ghost pressure, cave-o-sapien
11. Best Coast - Crazy for You . Sounds like missing L.A. from New York. Favorites: Boyfriend (quinceañera video), Crazy For You, When I'm With You, Bratty B
10. New Young Pony Club - The Optimist. Favorites: Lost a Girl, Dolls, Chaos, The Optimist. Mostly-female dry-voiced dance rock.
9. Janelle Monáe - The Archandroid (Metropolis Suites II-III)
If I were more into every song, instead of just Cold War (EMOBOT), Tightrope, Faster, and Come Alive, her persona and the urban SF messiah story which is not nearly central enough to the album, this would be top 5.
8. The Knife, Planningtorock, and Mt. Sims - Tomorrow, In A Year . This is nothing like a The Knife album, even the parts that mix techno in with postmodern opera and sound-evolution minimalism. Favorites: Minerals, Seeds, Colouring of Pigeons
7. Sleigh Bells - Treats . You either love or can't stand these Cool Kids, cheerleader-like vocals by 5th grade teacher Alexis Krauss and punk fuzzed guitar by Derek Miller. I played it at work once and a toddler sang along. Favorites: Kids, Infinity Guitars, Rill Rill, Crown on the Ground, A/B Machines, Riot Rhythm
6. Marnie Stern - Marnie Stern . Supposedly she went through a dry spell of writing and the suicide of the ex that got her into "good music" provoked more abject songwriting. Though it's not the breakthrough I was expecting to come next, it's a grower. Favorites: For Ash, Risky Biz, Female Guitar Players are the New Black, Gimme, Building a Body
5. David Byrne, Fatboy Slim, a kajillion collaborators - Here Lies Love. It's a disco biopic of Imelda Marcos told through the class tensions between her, her nanny, and other mostly female voices. Byrne's explanations of it suggest it's examining how the personal is political. Favorites: Every Drop of Rain, Don't You Agree, Please Don't, Order 1081, Why Don't You Love Me
4. Yeasayer - Odd Blood The video for ONE resembles a Samuel Delany story. Madder Red. Ambling Alp, Mondegreen, Rome.
3. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs . The Suburbs, We Used To Wait, Half Light II, Sprawl II (Mountains beyond Mountains). FULL OF WIN.
2. Crystal Castles II . I love them more than you'd expect of someone who's never done coke. Favorites: Doe Deer, Baptism, Empathy, Pap Smear (platform dance!)
1. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me. It's big and long and it hurts so good. Favorite tracks: Have One On Me, Good Intentions Paving Company, Go Long, Soft as Chalk, Kingfisher